THE FLAKK GROUP TRACES ITS ROOTS BACK TO 1933 WHEN SPJELKAVIK BARNEVOGNFABRIKK WAS ESTABLISHED
It was established by Mr Knut Stafset - grandfather of the current chairman Knut Flakk. The original business made baby strollers, as well as hardware components for the local furniture industry on the West Coast of Norway.
When the founder Knut Stafset passed away in 1956, Egil Flakk, who was married to his oldest daughter Bodil, took charge. At that time the company had only five employees and a debt that exceeded annual sales. Under the leadership of Egil and Bodil Flakk the business started to grow and to expand geographically. The company changed its name to Spilka and moved into production of window hardware in 1959. The manufacturing of hardware for the new H-window system turned out to be a huge success. Not only did it provide the foundation for Spilka’s own profitable growth and development over the next three to four decades, it laid the basis for an entire new window industry in Scandinavia.
Between 1956 and 2006 the Spilka Group was owned 50/50 by the Flakk and Stafset families. In 2006, the original window hardware business, as well as several smaller companies, were sold to Kåre Stafset and his three children in exchange for the shares in all of the remaining Spilka Group companies. This way, each of the two families became 100% owners of their respective businesses. As the name Spilka followed the window hardware business, it was decided to change the name of the Spilka Group to Flakk Group after the sell-off. Flakk Holding AS is the ultimate parent company of the Flakk Group.